Friday 8 May 2015

Let's Talk: Unbeautiful by Jessica Sorensen

Unbeautiful by Jessica Sorensen
Let's Talk contains spoilers


4 stars
Gorgeous cover!


Goodreads Synopsis:
Emery

You want to know my secrets? What lies beneath the pretty? The scars I can’t let anyone see? The scars tied to my secrets? 
On the outside I appear normal. Some might even say perfect. 
They say that I’m a pretty girl. They say I should be happy. They say that I have nothing to be angry about. That I’m popular. A cheerleader. That I’m perfect. 
Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. 
But all they see is what’s on the outside. 
On the inside I’m raw, open, bleeding. Scars that can’t seem to heal the wounds. 
Carrying dark secrets about who I really am.
How afraid I am to tell the truth.
And it’s slowly killing me. 

Ryler

Tattoos. Piercing. Scars. The guy who can’t speak. 
Gothic freak. Mute. Punk. I’ve heard it all. 
They say that I’m probably dangerous. They say people should stay away from me. 
They say. They say. They say.
But who are they anyway? 
To decide what I am. 
They don’t know what’s hidden beneath the scars. Beneath the piercings and tattoos. 
The secrets I keep hidden beneath the silence.
Maybe if they knew, they wouldn’t fear me so much. 
Then again, maybe they’d fear me more.

------------------------------------------------

This book was so creepy! It was so different than what I normally get from Jessica Sorensen books.
The characters were likeable and it showed a side to the stories that are normally all about the romance.
This book had me shocked because for once, I had no idea what was going on. It starts with our female protagonist, Emery, tied to a bed thinking about how her community is special and that things are the way they are and there is no way around that. They are always perfect. As she says: Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. But she doesn't want perfect.

The first thing to pop into my head:

In this place, they teach them things that don't exactly add up to our actually society.

And in this town, Emery has a perfect boyfriend who on the outside, is perfect. Blonde hair, cute, a "gentlemen."

Then Emery gets to leave. She has been collecting money, and I honestly had no idea how that would go. Would her seriously overprotective parents let her go?

Then we get to see Ryler's POV. He is living with Violet and Luke. He is also mute, for those of you who didn't know.
So reading his POV was special because I finally got to see what was going on in that head of his.

Emery ends up moving into Ryler's building. When they meet, it wasn't like I knew exactly what was going to happen as I usually do in Jessica's books. This was different. It wasn't a little virgin girl running away from a biker dude who was smoking. She was jogging and came back to the building and saw him. She felt a spark. She knew that she was feeling something strong. He did, too, apparently, because he was looking her body up and down. They then continue to look at each other for a few minutes, until she left because he wasn't saying anything. But in this, some things happen that separate this from a normal Jessica book. First, we find out after that Emery is not a virgin. She slept with someone back home because he wanted to. Second, she says that Ryler made her feel more intense that her boyfriend did (this isn't so new).

She writes in a journal to release all her thoughts, and she felt eternally guilty for something she wrote in the journal. So she ripped it up and threw it out the window. Then she looked and saw a guy pick it up, and low and behold: it's Ryler.

We also figure out from Ryler's POV that he is working undercover with the police. He is trying to stop a mob guy from terrorizing the city. Ryler is doing this because he doesn't have any other choice. It's this or jail.

So then comes the party scene when they finally are introduced. This was awesome.
Ryler is outside smoking and Emery comes by to pick up the journal papers. He then is asking Violet to translate that his name is Ryler and it's nice to meet her. She already knows whats going on though because she knows how to do sign language!
This was awesome because now I am just rooting for them even more!

Next, they decide to play some poker and Emery has her first drink. But she doesn't go crazy and drunk. She only drinks 2, maybe 3 shots.
Anyways, during their game they talk by writing with their fingers on each others hands! This was cute and she lets us know that she used to do this with her brother. We don't know what's going on with him, though.

But we figure out quickly that this is not the case.

This book is definitely worth a read! It will mess with your mind and your emotions like crazy!

So this is the start to their relationship and this book was so different! It was dark, but not in the way that most of Jessica's books are.

Rating: 7/10
Parental Rating: 15+

Comment below and let me know if you agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment