Monday 10 August 2015

Let's Talk: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Let's Talk contains spoilers

SPOILER-FREE REVIEW

3 stars

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?

Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her driver's license — for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

Anticipating this happy transformation, Tally meets Shay, another female ugly, who shares her enjoyment of hoverboarding and risky pranks. But Shay also disdains the false values and programmed conformity of the society. She'd rather risk life on the outside and urges Tally to defect with her.

When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world — and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.
 


---------------------------------------------

I read this book because I had it lying around for a long time. I bought it a while back because I wanted to know what the hype was all about.
Well, it wasn't as amazing as everyone made it out to be.
I think the reason this book did so amazing is because it is all about loving you for yourself.
While that is a great message that I do encourage, that does not make this a good book.
It wasn't bad, it was enough to keep me interested and finishing it very quickly for a 400 page book.
One of the reasons I disliked this book was because of the main character, Tally. I understand that she grew up in this community where it is normal to think yourself ugly but come on. She is always insulting herself; you know what: go right ahead. But that doesn't mean she can go around and insult Shay constantly because Tally feels bad about herself.
How does Shay even stay friends with her? If Shay could understand the wrongness, I believe Tally could have to.
Tally has the chance to leave with Shay and go to a place where people are ugly always and forever. Well that just doesn't sit well with Tally.



So Tally stays behind and decides to become pretty. But they tell her that she can't until she catches Shay and everyone else who ran away to stay ugly.

One thing I like about this was the new technology. I like in the beginning when Tally saw Peris and she jumped off the building with the catcher.
I also like the part when they ride on the roller coaster with their hover boards.

The parts I didn't like was anything that had to do with Tally and her having to actually think about her world. The parts when she was on the roller coaster, running from the people who make you pretty (I can't remember the name); and when she first ran off to see Peris.

Just a question:
- If you go to Pretty town when you turn Pretty, do your children live by themselves in Uglyville for 70% of their adolescence? Because only Pretties have children.

And David... what to say... So Shay was jealous of Tally for being with David. Well, to be honest, that was deserved, but David just didn't do it for me.
The story I'd like to see is of David's parents.
Come on people, they unprettied themselves and are in love! How can you not what that story?

I like the little twists. Especially the ending because would you really see that coming?

And finally, the noodles.


And then this flew through my head because when I was younger I remember having to clean this:


That's why you always add water.

Rating: 6/10
Parental Rating: 12+

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment